Certain pieces stand out for their exceptional quality or rarity and are housed in non-horse related museums. In addition to the two carriages kept at the aforementioned Chantilly Horse and Grand Stables Museum are the following:
Cambrai, Municipal Museum
Henry Barré Municipal Museum
Dupuy-Mestreau Regional Art Museum
Cambrai (Nord), Municipal Museum
The Municipal Museum of Cambrai has a unique carriage in France - the procession chariot of the Sainte Aldegonde de Maubeuge canoness chapter, built around 1735. Six metres long, it is a sort of nave mounted on four sturdy wheels, with contoured rises sculpted with opulent, multi-coloured and gilded floral motifs in "rocaille" style. It was used to carry the statue of the patron saint in pomp and circumstance as she surrounded by singers and sat sitting on a bench dominating the entire ambulatory.
Le Puy-en-Velay (Haute-Loire), Crozatier Museum
The Crozatier Museum has the only state coach from the 1780s preserved in France. Unusually for the time, it bears the name of the craftsmen who made some of its parts: that of the wheelwright Pierre Néry, engraved on the four-wheel hubs, and those of the saddlers Jean-Pierre Goix and Charles Oilivier, stamped on leather hangers.
Thouars (Deux-Sèvres), Henry Barré Municipal Museum
The Henry Barré Municipal Museum has also one of the few 18th-century carriages preserved in France, a town coach built in the 1770s, whose bodywork fully displays a Louis XVI style in its shape and decoration while more archaic back end stands out with its rococo, sinuous lines, contours and patterns. The name of the wheelwright who built it, Thuret, is engraved on the wheel hubs.
Eu (Seine-Maritime), Château, Musée Louis-Philippe
The Louis-Philippe Museum has the oldest carriage kept in a public collection in France: a gala state coach ordered, along with twenty-three others, in 1727 in Paris by King John V of Portugal for the exchange of the princesses in Caïa. Taken to Brazil in 1808 by the prince regent, who became Emperor of Brazil, it was used as State carriage and returned to Europe during the exile of the emperor Don Pedro Alcantara II (pushed out by Brazilian revolutionaries in 1889, he returned with his stepfather, the Count of Eu). A major restoration revealed this magnificent treasure in all its rococo splendour, witnessing the light of Parisian bodywork.
Saintes (Charente-Maritime), Dupuy-Mestreau Regional Art Museum
The Dupuy-Mestreau Regional Art Museum houses a town coach built in 1797, and once belonging to the Pandin family of Lussaudière. One can only lament its state of near abandonment, particularly in the knowledge that it is one of the fifteen 18th-century carriages preserved in France.